Wednesday 6 September 2017

A BALMY BREEZE BECKONS BENIGNLY...


A 1971 edition of the acclaimed classic

I've shown the colourful cover to this METHUEN paperback of KENNETH GRAHAME's The WIND In The WILLOWS before, but it's such a relaxing, tranquil scene (by E.H. SHEPARD, the book's definitive illustrator) that I thought I'd post it again for the quiet contemplation of all you Crivs.  (Yes, I'm thoughtful that way.)  If you've never read this literary classic, then you really should get around to it before you fall off the twig.

2 comments:

Dave S said...

I have that exact edition, Kid. It was given to me by a woman who lived in the next close to us when I was about, I think, 8 years old, probably around 1983/84 ish- she was friendly with my mum. I think it might have belonged to her daughter who was a few years older than me, but if so her daughter can't have read it much cos it's still in fantastic condition even with me having read it several times.

Haven't read it for about 30 years though and might go back and do so - I'll let you know when I do!

Kid said...

I first read The Wind In The Willows around 1971, in a book borrowed from the school library. I'd seen the Disney short on my last day in primary in 1970, so when I saw the book, I decided to give it a read. Although I enjoyed it, it wasn't until I reread it a year or so later (in a paperback bought from the local newsagent's) that I became entranced by its magic. That paperback had this very cover, of which I now have several - from the early '60s to the mid-'70s, plus numerous different editions, hardback and paperback. Quite simply the finest book of its kind ever written.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...